View Single Post
Old 12-07-2022, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
Was out in middle of the lake today was from 13-16 inches
Never seen a fish out deep was in 30 feet of water.
A little early for the whites I guess
I was at Pigeon on December 5th a couple years ago when the ice was about 6 inches thick. I chipped a hole in about two feet of water along the north shore just to see how think the ice was. Looking down the hole I was amazed that it was non-stop whitefish swimming by. There must have been a couple hundred swim by. No interest in a hook at all.

Same thing at Gull a couple years ago. Opening day mid December I was ice fishing over 6 to 8 feet of water and mot seeing much. An oldtimer came out and drilled a hole 2 to 3 feet from shore. He limited out on whites in 20-30 minutes and left. I went to his hole and there was about 18 inches of water under the ice. I limited out in 30 minutes too. This was along the NNE shore.

Fishing at Smoke Lake near Fox Creek I was fishing before Christmas. I had 2 feet of water under the ice and the big whites would come screaming by and hammer the hook. Caught a few that were 8 to 9.5 lbs.

So it seems whites like the shallows in early to mid December and move deeper after Christmas.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets