Thread: Marlin 444
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2022, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
I think I made a big mistake. I ordered some new starline brass and some Hornady 265 gr ftx bullets. The ones used in the leverevolution ammo. Then today I'm reading that those bullets only work in shortened brass and the dies need to be shortened also. I think I just wasted my money.

Does anyone have experience loading with the ftx bullets from Hornady?

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
All is not lost. You're not the first one to run into this issue with the FTX bullets. There are lots of threads about this very thing across multiple forums.
Apparently, Hornady dies would make your life easier, as they are designed to crimp both the standard 2.225" and the shorter 2.065" Leverevolution cases.
Options for other brand dies are to shorten the seating die on a lathe or milling machine so it will crimp the shorter cases. I saw comments of 0.100", but would want to verify that.
You can trim some of the new Starline brass to Leverevolution specs, or simply buy more Hornady Leverevolution ammo and farm the brass. Save the Starline brass for other fodder.
Like a lot of hobbies, you can make most things work if you throw more money at it.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell