View Single Post
Old 07-11-2019, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flymph View Post
Seems like when ever I post on this site some sort of controversy ensues which is not my intention. I really enjoy my one week of fishing a stream or two in some of the most beautiful country in the world. Believe me I cherish this one week and take the rules seriously by practicing catch and release. Nevertheless, I had just one question that was never answered: What type of chironomids (size and color) are most dominant in the Old Man river system? No hot spotting or secret fly just some simple entomology, please.
Chironomids are not a big hatch on most flowing waters, especially at this time of year. Sure, midges hatch year round, and fish will eat them year round, but there is a bounty of bigger meals right now. And if you are fishing midge patterns, they will be small sz18 and smaller.

Here is a hatch chart: https://www.bowrivertroutfitters.com...-Hatch-Charts/

If I was to fish nymphs on the crow right now. I would be going with a 2-fly set up, a sz8 stonefly nymph and a sz14-16 mayfly-like nymph (hares ear, copper john, etc). However, before the fish become too picky, a dry-dropper set up would work, like a stimi or a big caddis, with a sz16 dropper.

Dry fly action is very possible. I would pack some stimi, chernobyl ants, and PMD dries.