View Single Post
Old 07-03-2020, 09:42 AM

Default Save your money and build up your practice.

You would be surprised how your body adapts to shooting a bow. I started with a 55 and it took some time to get proficient but less than i thought. At first, i started with just half drawing the bow and letting it down 10-20 times per day with both hands. I started to add a few inches to the draw using an old arrow i marked in increments. It helped to wrap a rubber band Around the arrow at the length i was going for. The important part was not to rush and use a good technique. Within 2-3 weeks i was able to draw and hold the weight comfortably. From here I started to shoot at a close target (max 20 arrows).

I protected my joints with a good warmup of 3 minutes of arm circles of various sizes and in both directions (thanks Tony Horton from the p90 craze). Building up technique with a routine helped me more than shooting a light bow. Lower # bows helped accuracy but also allowed some flaws to develop in my technique because I was less conscious of my draw. Seems counterintuitive at first but i had to be patient to speed up the process.