Thread: new job
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2018, 06:33 PM

Which mine will you be potentially working at ? The reason I ask is that some locations are union and some are not. The location also determines size and equipment differs from mine to mine. If you start with haul truck, you will be in the " mine ops" department. There has been a huge hiring spree in the last 3 years, and quality applicants are few. There's been a huge push from corporate to hire women now, which is unprecedented for this company. You'll come across a lot of people who have never operated heavy equipment before. A lot of " nail techs" and former hairdressers. I kid you not.

The haul truck job is the lowest position in mine operations, as it's a requirement of all employees in that division. There's only so many bids for other equipment and a long line of people in front of you with more seniority, so become accustomed to that job for a few years. It's boring and music will become your best friend.

Some tips? Don't be a loudmouth and listen to the 2-way radio. There's a lot going on from pit to pit, and blasting occurs frequently. Foremen hate repeating themselves. You'll get yelled at by the diggers (shovels and loaders) for being too far or too crooked. Get used to it and don't have an attitude. Apologize and promise to do better. There's trainers available should you need further assistance. The dozer on the spoil also hates people coming in with no invite or at speed. Do not line up to the blade push arms or you'll be crooked.

You also feel the need to be fast but don't do this until you're competent. There are men on the ground working with cable and graders hate when you speed by them while they're trying to fix the road.

There's a strict cell phone policy so do yourself a favor and leave it at home! I can't stress this enough. It's also 2 days, then 2 nights so it'll throw your sleep patterns off for the first few months.

The company on a whole is good though. You will receive good pay (upward of $36 to start depending on mine), there's 2 bonuses possible as well. There's safety points in the form of gift cards, $1G health and wellness, and a very good medical/dental plan. Some locations also have a ridiculous pension plan ta boot.

Hope this helps and good luck !