View Single Post
Old 04-08-2019, 11:46 PM

Again I ask, who has cast, or better yet, fished with the Impact?

If you like fast action tip casting rods that requires quick short casting stroke (resembling windshield wipers on high), you will not like the Impact. If you can slow your cast down and let the rod load further down into the blank,,, timing your cast by feel rather than by rote muscle memory,,, the Impact is a delight to cast all day.

Do not confuse swing weight with rod weight and / rod action. Swing weight is about "feel",,, about balance and weight distribution through the rod. It is not a measure of rod weight swinging back and forth. A lighter fast action rod can still feel very awkward to cast if the taper skews the weight balance close to the rod butt (particularly on short casts).

This coming from an old guy having fly-fished 50 years now having owned at least around 50 fly rods in that time (from high end sages and loomis to mid range Echos and TFOs to old fenwick and daiwa glass) Now throw in 6 operations in the last 10 years on my arms ,,,one shoulder, two wrist and 3 different elbow (one elbow done twice). Believe me with all that, I know which rods I can cast all day without causing fatigue and pain. When it comes to pike fly fishing , I will happily fish all day with any one or all of my three Impacts (8, 9 or 10 wt) that I use for pike.