View Single Post
Old 09-08-2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craddosk View Post
If you don't believe me, you're welcome to call the F&W biol out of Whitecourt (Curtis Stambaugh) and the Fox Creek F&W Officer (Marc Foisy) who dropped off the red-tail. Would have been the fall/winter of 2010/2011.

Generally, common critters are not rehabilitated by tax-payer dollars. Red-tail hawks, Swainson's hawks, mallards, American coots, Great-grey owls, etc, fall under the definition of common. These species (and many others) have very healthy, sustainable populations in Alberta, and the expenditure of thousands of dollars to fix a broken wing. Now, I could understand dropping off the mallard hen at a recovery center to allow the species-at-risk being rehabilitated there to have fresh, wild meat, that'd be great of you!

That being said, certain species (ferruginous hawks, burrowing owls, silver foxes, pigmy owls, peregrine falcons) are considered to be "At-Risk" (or endangered, depending on the species), and should be rehabilitated at these centers to help the wild population grow and become more sustainable. But to spend that money on a mallard hen, a species shot in the ten's of thousands every fall by hunters across North America?
Unfortunately, that is the way it is. My wife was a forest officer and has had the unfortunate task of putting down such birds.

Great job on saving the duck though! I did the same thing with a family of ducks i found at work. Set them free on my dugout after some rehab. Great feeling!