Thread: Fish Bends
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2018, 08:11 PM

Default blue barcelona

Not trying to cause anything just looking for info and thoughts on the matter.

Quote:
Damage is done.

Best not to fish deep water for walleye, perch etc.

One of the leading causes of fish mortality.
If it's not best to fish in deep water how do people go about catching fish that live in deeper water...lake trout come to mind as one or accidental catch's of other species. Trying to find more info on it being a leading cause of fish mortality. I would think that if there is so many fish being brought up from deep waters that there would be quite a few dead fish always floating around in the summer and in the spring after the ice lifts...

Quote:
What do you mean nothing backing up claims regarding bends? Barotrauma as it is better known as is well documented and fairly straight forward

I agree that it is well documented...but with people making claims about all this bad stuff that happens to the fish coming up from deep water there isn't much documented on it and no one is sharing any literature or links....just to go out and say it's bad and wrong.....well...I would think if it is such a tragic matter there would be literature published in the regulations to educate the anglers??

Quote:
The use of descending devices in the situation of mistakenly catching a fish in deep water is a good procedure. However the use of a descending device as an excuse to fish deeper water is imo irresponsible as although it does increase the fishes chance of survival there can be permanent damage done.
Agree 100%, I also think that if this descending device can save a few fish it is worth having one in the tackle box. Wondering what the long term damage is as the longevity, would imaging it would be more sever for certain species of fish and maybe size?

Quote:
For perch and walleye you should fish shallower than 30 fow unless you plan on keeping everything(which isn't possible here for walleye, but is for perch).
Not sure what to say on this...I've fished some of the bigger lakes in AB, Sask and Man and we were well over 30' catching everything...never seen any fish come up showing any sign of the bends and even watched big lake trout chase the hooks up to the surface from over 80' fow...some never took the hook and swam back down to the depths they were at.