View Single Post
Old 04-04-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tox View Post
This is first mistake/untrue fact. This was not initiated IN CASE there was a complaint, there in fact WAS a complaint. The ABA acted on that complaint by bringing it to the AGMAG meetings.
That's what I said. The ABA was the one to complain. As stated by Brent Watson in his Jan 2014 letter. "Spear/Atlatl Issue
(Jan 15 2014)
This issue popped up a couple of years ago when ABA President Brent Watson had two ABA
members contact him about the use of spears/atlatls in Alberta, what they had seen on YouTube and one
had a friend who had used a spear on a bear. Several TV shows on WILD TV also showed spears being
used for hunting bears and bison/hogs. Brent checked with the ESRD head of enforcement (Pat Dunford)
and he said there were no laws on the books not allowing them, etc. They had a few negative comments
made to them but nothing really more than that. Brent brought the issue up at an ABA exec meeting June
18 2012 after he raised the question at the AGAMG (Alberta Game Management Advisory Group)
meeting in May 2012 to get the opinions of other stakeholders."

The ABA was the first and only hunting group to want the discussion on Legal Weapons, they are the group that initiated the discussion at AGMAG and are the only hunting group to make a proposal to ban spears and atlatls. None of the other hunting groups support the ABA's position.

Don't forget how this internet discussion and the discussion at the AGM all began. After I spent several hours speaking with Brent last Dec.4, 2013, he confirmed the history of how the issue began, the ABA's current position, and provided me with the ABA's proposal to Ban Spear's and Atlatls. Brent confirmed that this proposal was never brought to the membership for review/vote (against the ABA constitution), and that there was no possible way to convince him that Spears/Atlatls should be legal, defined or not. Remember, this is on Dec. 04, 2013, a year after claiming in his Jan 2014 letter that there was a Misinterpretation of the May 2013 AGMAG minutes.

In further discussions with other AGMAG members, members of the ABA and their affiliated clubs, NO ONE was aware of the ABA proposal! That is when I decided to started the thread Five Reasons To Ban Spears and Atlatls. http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...hlight=reasons

We likely wouldn't be in this mess of a discussion if the ABA executive followed the ABA constitution.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."