View Single Post
Old 06-26-2018, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpohlic View Post
This setup is only for small pothole lakes and nice weather. We have an 18’ bow rider for big lakes and rougher conditions. Float bags or cockpit covers are a good idea. I’m not that serious of a fisherman, if the weather starts to turn bad I’m back on shore, learned my lesson years ago
I exclusively fly fish.

I am not sure what your budget is, but the best stillwater boat that I have ever used is one of these: https://www.cunninghamboats.ca/intro...fishing-canoe/

The chironomid is easily stable enough to stand up in. It is super light. Having oars instead of a paddle means you can go super fast. It is really not a problem to paddle a couple of kilometres if you need to.

Otherwise, given kayak, canoe, and pontoon, I would personally go for a kayak. Out of the other 3, the canoe has amazing payload, but the poorest manoeuvrability. The kayak is the least stable, but is the fastest and fairly configurable for fishing. The pontoon (like a Fishcat) is the most stable and the only really appropriate for flowing water. A pontoon has the worst long-range travel, but it does have excellent micro manoeuvrability. You can spin 180 and cast in the immediate opposite direction.