Thread: Cartridge help.
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2010, 06:09 PM
Banned

I've hunted the Yukon and brought both my .375 H&H and my .338WM for moose. Got tired of 7 days in a boat and travelled dry land for a while. I came upon a grizzly sow at 75 yds. All alone with my .375 and I'll admit to goose bumps on my arms and back. That .375 although extremely capable didn't make me feel any better, as I figured that if she charged, I still had the job of making the shot. The picture that follows was taken with my cell phone at less than 50 yds. At the time, I was riding the cattle range, my .444Marlin was in the scabbard. I knew that there was no way on God's green earth that I could draw it out fast enough to make a real difference. Best I could do was to pray that my paint mare wouldn't loose it. Tippy toes in the stirrups, I made it out OK. But I'll say that any caliber would not have gotten me out this situation had those two brothers not had a full belly. As a side note, my mare gained a lot of respect from me. And no, I didn't vote, 'cause with a grizz close encounter such as this one, caliber is not an option, not at 50 yds. Pee in your pants is a given.