Thread: Cartridge help.
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2010, 06:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windago View Post
The picture that follows was taken with my cell phone at less than 50 yds. At the time, I was riding the cattle range, my .444Marlin was in the scabbard.

so you had time to take a photo but not to get your .444 out
Absolutely. The cell phone was in my shirt pocket. The .444 was in my scabbard which has a folder over flap that covers the buttstock and is laced up. My best defense was to get my mare into a gallop and make a mile between myself and the bears. In order to do that, I need one hand on the saddle horn and one on the reins. Bad planning on my part? most certainly, I had I not planned on this encounter, which occured in WMU312 bordering WMY406. The location which I've ridden for years isn't prone to grizz encounters. I was simply and casually riding the range to doctor up cows and check fences between the forestry and the grazing lease for my rancher neighbour and friend. The reason that my .444 was in the scabbard and laced up was that I may need it to put a bull down that had been reported as having a broken leg. Perhaps if you had spent as many days in the saddle as I have, you might hold off on the "d'oh" imoticon?

Last edited by gitrdun; 12-27-2010 at 06:38 PM.