View Single Post
Old 02-18-2017, 08:29 PM

Default 2 gun set up...what 2?

What to do, what to do?

I currently have a Cooper Jackson Hunter 7mm Rem Mag with a 26” blued barrel. It’s at Cooper for a warranty issue while its there I am going to have the barrel changed to a stainless 24” barrel. They mentioned I could switch it to any Magnum cartridge, with no other expense for reaming it out (not sure if that is the right terminology), as long as it had the same bolt face.

For the smaller cartridge/calibre it will be mainly a short/mid range everything gun or my go to Deer gun. Probably another 7mm-08 (mine is for sale) or something in 6.5 or 25 caliber family… easy and fun to shoot with lighter recoil for my daughter if she wants to use it.

One the other end is where I need help. This rifle would be more of dedicated Elk/Moose but still used on deer rifle but also a mid/longer range gun (under 500 yards max, realistically 50-300).

So basically I could “blow up” my current set up and start from scratch. The 2nd gun has to have Magnum bolt face and perform well with a 24” barrel.

Do I keep it the same 7mm-08 and Rem Mag or do something different? What 2 would you buy?

DISCLOSURE- I don’t want a gun that will blow my shoulder off. The recoil on my rem mag is no issue. I haven’t shot anything larger then a 300 win mag. It was a Finnlight, and it wasn’t very enjoyable. Not sure if it was because its a light weight rifle or because it was a 300 win.