View Single Post
Old 06-08-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leggacy View Post
i know the thickness but i just dont know if its okay that my tippet is thicker then my leader won't it be off balance
By that I think you mean that you have a six tippet and want to attach a heavier line, never mind just reread the origanal question. No it's not really OK because the leader should be tapered to it's final thickness. So you could buy the proper leader or just cut the 5X part off and tie in the 4X. On my leaders I buy what ever they have in stock and have spools of tippet material, I just replace the last two feet to whatever I want. To make the leader last longer I replace the two feet preceeding the tippet when it gets to short from retying all the time, For this I use 1 or2X, that way I'm only retying the actual leader once I run out of the 2X and all I do is add another piece to have to tie the tippet to. A leader will last me all year because I do this. At the very least you should have 2 or 3 spools of tippet material to switch to as approperiate. I hope that makes sense, it did in my head. lol
To clarify the tippet size only refers to the last aprox. two feet of your leader.