View Single Post
Old 06-15-2013, 09:05 AM

I spent the better half of my life working for DFO on the island. I dealt with Victoria's sewage issues on a daily basis. Yes they do flush raw sewage into the ocean; but, they do not flush all their sewage. Any new developments have sewage treatment. The only sewage that gets flushed to sea is in areas where the sewage pipes are shared with the storm drains.

The co-mingling of their sewage and storm water runoff is the big problem. In order for them to treat 100% of their sewage they would have to replace a large number of their storm sewers and sewage drains throughout the city and replace them with separate systems. That will never happen. Waste from the combined systems have been grandfathered and permitted to flush to sea. Newer systems that have separate lines are not allowed to flush to sea.

That said, yes we do charge The City of Victoria fairly regularly for dumping raw sewage from non-permitted drains. They are dealing with an old problem as best as they can. In my opinion doing it quite well.