View Single Post
Old 08-20-2014, 09:17 PM

Default "Field" shooting positions?

Just wondering how many guys practice shooting from positions other than standing or sitting in a stand? I've never shot a deer from a stand, always from the ground, and have yet to take a standing shot. I always want to, it jut never works out! In light of that, I like to practice shooting from kneeling positions,as I find it is more difficult for some reason. It seems like its harder to draw and hold as well.

Something I've thought about recently is hold time. In almost every situation where I've shot a deer, I've found myself holding longer than I'd have liked. Sometimes MUCH longer... Have you ever practiced holding at full draw until the burn is almost too much, and then trying to make an accurate shot? I find that when you do this, you tend to drop your shooting arm immediately at the shot instead of following through properly. Tends to make shots land low. I'm thinking i should be practicing this hold technique more, especially from the kneeling position, as it seems that this is the situation I find myself in time and again. Anyone have any tips for getting better at this?