Thread: Sucker fish
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2015, 06:08 PM
Gone Hunting

I wish I knew how to catch suckers. I know there has to be thousands of them within ten miles of my place, but I've never fished for them.

I think I've caught two in my life, while fishing for other species.
Dad used to catch hundreds with a net.
Mom canned them using a pressure cooker to soften the bones. Or she would fry them then grind them and make fish patties, kinda like a small thick pancake. We couldn't get enough of either. They were delicious !

Dad would always take some of the days catch and pickle them in a salt brine and then smoke cure then till they were the consistency of leather.
Those didn't last either. We'd sneak them for trail snacks. It took all day chewing to consume one but we like them better then candy.

I need to ask mom what spices she used. I think some of my sisters know the recipes too so I'm not in a rush. I need to find out how to catch them first. Nets are illegal in the rivers around here.

I have a boat and the time, if anyone in this area wants a fishing trip and knows how to catch Suckers or Perch, give me a shout, we'll do a trip or two.

George Bernard Shaw