Thread: NW Ontario Trip
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2020, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
I haven't see Gene in ten years and the main lodge is above the dam .

I heard his son is running things and the last I heard was Gene running river air.He is a dam good bush pilot and so was George,they no that area better then anyone,except maybe Neil Walsten ,dam that guy took me on some hairy plane rides in bad weather when we had to emergencies to get people out,heart attacks etc.I flew maybe 100 times with Neil taking me to places.

Out of all the areas I fished in my life, the English river owns my soul, I always gave the resort boats room, never fish there spots or bug any of there guests .It's so big that years ago I would see maybe a camp boat on the water,so I could fish 20 spots per day and never see another person.

Then GPS's came out and some tried to map my routes and ended buying new motors,but that water goes down from dams so you better know the water well.Last year 12 ft low so I never went,but it's back up real good now.

In the fall when all is closed down I use to hunt solo up there running that whole system till it froze up.You make one mistake and you maybe walking for week or more or even die,so when the first sat phones came out,i had one.

But you said your going to MARGOT which is way the hell up by north spirit lake, I fished it once years ago while when doing some work for a mining company.Can't be that northern one,hell that's 300 air mile north, no way Gene is flying that far, so it has to be that the one I am thinking off.

The other margot camp which is not on there web site is an older outpost
on a small lake only 1.5 miles wide ,but it's got good fishing,no one goes into it and your all alone to enjoy it.

I helped built Rowdy lake camp when I was 16 ,we went in this time of year and the ice was late going out and we ran out of food,i think it was George who tried to make and air drop but everything exploded when it hit a tree..

I grabbed a 12 foot boat and portage all the way down the surgeon river into umfrerville lake which was open due the current ,night mare of a trip.Took 5 days due bad ice in spots.
But I learnt how to get way up north and later on 5 years later I did 2 canoe trips solo into the north end of the caribou park,it wasn't a park till the late 80's I think.

Your in around Chase or rex lake area in there territory north of umperville lake .

Have a good trip and enjoy ,the Halley's are nice people and they know there stuff very well. They were the frontiers of that area and Louie or Louis Halley broke trail for a large part of that area. He was a tough old bugger and had no fear of nothing, there was no moss growing under his boots let me tell you.

Cheers

JD
You mention Rowdy lake, were you up that country when Joey Dale had a fishing camp on that lake? Babe Vanesse was on a lake nearby as well. I was first in this area in 69.
How about Berni Lamm, he had the Ball lodge on the English just up north of Grassy Narrows? Very impressive lodge set up back then. Employed that whole settlement I think.
Is it the woodland caribou park your speaking of? I think that actually became a park in the 70's, I know I spent time guiding up on those lakes from 76 on, and went as far up as the Poplar Hill/Little Grand Rapids area it was a park then. That's all the Bloodvein, Keeper, and Berens systems running thru that country to the big lake. To get to them at that time we flew out of The big dock in Kenora.

Osky