View Single Post
Old 12-25-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
Is your plan to spend several days floating the river or are you planning to paddle back to main camp each night?

If you take an elk, how can you keep it cool in a canoe, under the sun?
You need to set up vehicals at both ends of the trips, travel downstream only, it is possible to do what SK says but downstream travel will get you to more good spots in a given time frame. If you really know the river going upstream to hunt and coming back down can work.

So long as the tempature is dropping to around zero at night (nearly always is along the river at that time of year), after one night the quarters will be pretty well cooled, sitting in the bottom of the canoe against the cold river water will also help keep them cool during the day. I'd say, even when things are pretty warm, you have up 3-4 days easy. I've never shot an animal that I could not get out in 1-2 hard days though, then I get home and age them in my shed... so they can deffinatly last longer.