View Single Post
Old 12-25-2015, 11:37 AM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ighlight=canoe

Here's one post of a few I've put up hunting from a canoe. It's a very rewarding experience and not one to take lightly. Couch potatoes need not apply, lol. A couple of realistic points to ponder:
How are you canoemanship skills? That should decide what type of water you can safely handle with a canoe carrying upwards of 800lbs with two paddlers.

Will you be sharing the water with jet boats? I've met couteous operators and downright a-holes who want to pass you in rapids. Stick to small creeks with lots of beaver dams where they can't go. Your chances of success will improve 100%.

Can you handle roughing it a bit; luckily most hunters can. Moose tip over in the worst places sometimes and you may be camping in less than favourable areas over night. Along with wolves and bears, and other bulls looking for a fight. I've had two encounters with bulls on the river at night which are not fun and create serious pucker factor.

Canoe: unless you can guarantee deep water from start to finsh, the only canoe that can handle the abuse in shallow water is an older Coleman; and I don't mean the ones marked Ram-X. The plastic seems more brittle in those compared to the older stuff. Coleman's don't stick to river rocks like aluminum ones do and are a lot quieter. They handle like bricks in the water but you can load them on dry land and drag them over rocks with out worrying about wrecking them. They also have an aluminum pole running the length of the keel with stiffens them up for added stability. We've had to drag a loaded canoe 800m once due to low water one year. I've only seen us wear out the bottom of one canoe in 20 years of hunting this way.

BTW, this year we got skunked after paddling 80kms over four days. Didn't see anything but wolves and there was little water to be found. That's how it goes!
Good luck and can't wait to see the pics!