View Single Post
Old 12-29-2015, 10:39 AM

Default Canoe hunting

We've done it before and here's my observations. One canoe per person gives room for gear and moose and there's less fighting about the steering. I'd never share a canoe. Learn your strokes! I don't use the j-stroke too much,I pry the paddle on the edge of the canoe it corrects faster and doesn't compromise speed. This became apparent quickly because I can easily out distance my partner who does use a beautiful and traditional j-stroke.

Canoeing is nicer than back packing because you can bring a bit more gear (like a lantern.) Getting out of some rivers sucks because of the mud on the edges, bring rubber boots for sure. Finding a good camping spot near a river isn't easy so be prepared to move up the bank far enough to camp (bring a pack frame). Have a small tarp to put over your gear to keep water off your stuff, those drops of water falling off your paddles add up. I get plastic bread trays and put 2 on the bottom of the canoe to keep my gear off the bottom and out of the water. Bring a kneeling pad for your poor knees, they'll thank you about day two. Bring a sun hat, repellant, some gloves for paddling, etc. Bring a nice thin and long pole about 10' with a brass bushing on the end, it's great for poling and won't slip off the rocks and will dig into the ice if you need to scoot over ice. Ropes on both ends of the canoe (for sure!). Wearing runners in the canoe is more comfy than your rubber boots.

Keep survival gear on you at all times, knife, matches and shoes. Imagine walking out with no shoes. Lashing an inflated inter tube or two onto the top of your loaded canoe can help in the case of an upset. If you have extra buoyancy like that then it allows you to lash your backs well into the canoe and it'll all stay together if you flip....don't flip! I definately lash my hiking boots onto the canoe.

Canoeing on the water in late fall is cold! Leave your cotton clothes at home, wool and fleece only and quality rain gear. I keep a set of cotton sweat pants, a t shirt and wool socks for sleeping in. Just leave them in your sleeping bag, it's nice to crawl into semi clean clothes before turning in.

A 5 gallon bucket will be Your best friend, for sitting on, and hauling water and it becomes a good place to put your daily possibles. Bring a good water filter and use it...the bucket is good for letting the water settle before filtering it. Topo maps show where game is likely to be, being one for sure.

Really, really think things through before you leave because there's no paddling back. Did I mention how hard it is to paddle upstream? Try it first before thinking that it's possible with a loaded canoe, it's not really.

There that should get the brain juices flowing