View Single Post
Old 04-14-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatonka View Post
The problem for the animals that want to migrate back to Canada is getting across the Milk River. It's near flood stage and is expected to be very high for several weeks and the vast majority of the antelope I've seen are on the south side of the river. The snow has melted here in the valley, but between the valley and the border and up into Canada there is still a lot of snow that has yet to melt. I'm no biologist by any means, but I'm thinking they are going to have their fawns down here and more than likely stick around for a while. When they make their way back north is anyone's guess, if they do at all.
Yup, when the Pronghorns migrate farther south than usual during a harsh winter, and then can't move back north due to snow/runoff conditions, they are going to stop migrating to have their fawns where they.

Making conclusions regarding Alberta Pronghorn populations in April is pointless. It may turn out that there is a heavy winterkill this year, and it may turn out that many Alberta Pronghorns do not migrate back this spring. A reduction in populations could be from a combination of these factors. We simply have to wait until early summer to know what the numbers are, and where they are.