Thread: Road Kill
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2017, 09:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Walking Buffalo...........The way that the regs are written it is at the discretion of the Officer as to whether or not they will allow you to possess any found dead wildlife. I don't think that more regs are required. An internal memo wrt roadkill to the district offices that are not allowing roadkill to be recovered would suffice IMO. More bureaucracy is not what is required.
Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
I've never seen a regulation that says that.
Care to share?

There are conditions that regulate when and why they can say no, but only within the written rules, not at the simple whim of an officer.

Wouldn't this memo have to follow the law, or do you feel F&W doesn't have to follow written rules, that they can just make things up as they go along even if their actions are illegal?

As to the bureaucracy comment, I see you don't understand what I was getting at. Colour me unsurprised. (Yah, I'm grumpy and need to get out.... )
Happy New Years to you too ya snotty bugger.

I have gone down this route many times with roadkill and other found dead wildlife. You have absolutely no legal right to keep any found dead wildlife and, yes, it is a discretionary call by the F&W Officer that you report to.

A simple google search with “Found dead wildlife Alberta” brought this up:

If you have found a road-killed animal and would like to salvage the meat, contact the nearest Fish and Wildlife Division district office prior to taking such wildlife into your possession.

Explain the circumstances and where the carcass was found, keeping in mind that approvals to salvage meat are given on a case-by-case basis.

A Fish and Wildlife officer will advise you whether further investigation or inspection of the carcass will be required.

http://aep.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/...-wildlife.aspx

This is a summarization but The Wildlife Act doesn’t state anything different. If you want to dig, go ahead, it’s a fools errand. You will not find the words “Will” or “Shall” wrt an Officer allowing you to keep Found Dead Wildlife but you will find the word “May”.

The controversy about what one district allows and another doesn’t isn’t new in the trapping world. If a Residential Trapper has an incidental otter catch when trapping beaver, one district may allow him to keep it while another may not. Case by case basis at the Officer’s discretion and all IAW the regs.

For others......If you find a roadkill or other found dead wildlife that you want to salvage you may do so without prior approval IF you have no phone/phone reception or after AEP working hours when no one is in the office......no need to leave it until you get permission. You must report it ASAP when you have the soonest opportunity to do so. This is in The Wildlife Act and I am Confident that it is accurate. In my district I email the info, recover the roadkill and they contact me with approval when they open the next business day. Other districts may require that you bring the roadkill in for inspection and/or sign paperwork.