View Single Post
Old 08-10-2020, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
All is well with your choice of a single action. The advantages of the level wind are that when you have to pick up line on a fish swimming towards the boat, you can do it in a hurry. But yes, I have a few Shimano Moocher Plus GTs that were used for years on the inside, and were plenty of fun.

As for the circle hooks, been doing that since I moved back from Florida where they were used exclusively for big marlin and sailfish. It has now become a regulation down there, as fish are easily released, do not suffer gill damage, and when dealing with fish that can jump and run for over two hours, they stay hooked.

When the fish hits, they bite and turn. If you can get ahold of any of "Charlie White's Fishing Machine" videos from the 1970's, he ran an underwater camera on a downrigger. Fish hit and turn away. Watch the videos and you will see.

The Circle hook slides to the corner of the mouth, digs in on the turn, and cannot be pulled back in a straight line. That is the secret. There is a german fellow from Campbell River who runs a Seaswirl by the name of "Alkami". He went so far as to snag our line with a big spring on it thinking we were fishing with barbs. He netted the fish, and immediately tried to unhook the Spring in his net, without success. You have to rotate the hhok and push IN to get it out. I explained how it worked, and gave him a pack of 5/0s to try. Now we are friends.

Just saying.

Drewski
Yeah i know level wind you can take up the line way faster when they swim towards the boat. I don't mind giving a fish a bit of a chance for freedom. It adds to the challenge.

Very interesting with the circle hooks. So do they have open eye circle hooks or how do you attach it to the spoon? I fish for halibut with large circle hooks, but not salmon. I use gamakatsu octopus hooks on my hootchies or sickle hooks. Guess I'll get some circle hooks if i see any that size.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures