View Single Post
Old 09-05-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firegod74 View Post
I was thinking of buying a box of ammo from winchester the same grain (150) and see if it happens with them so I can rule out bad ammo. Something I didn't mention in the original post is that we had two different grains out there. 130, and 150. The issues seemed to be only with the 150 grain.

Cat the gun is brand new. I don't really want to spend money getting a smith to check head spacing. That cost should land on Savage. The gun is brand new off the shelf, if it looks like a gun issue, I woud like it replaced and let someone else figure out what is wrong with the gun. If its the gun and not just a bad batch of ammo.
You do not need a gunsmith to take get it head spaced, many shooters own and know how to use head space gauges, I'm sure you can find someone close who can help you out.
However, I posted the head space check as one step in determining whether or not it is actually the rifle, as some have indicated, and it should be done to do a proper analysis.
Myself, I would look at the ammo as well as the rifle, however.

Getting warranty done on a new rifle is a PIA, I have been involved in a few warranty and no-warranty issues, one with a Savage, and two with Remington, and one with a Ruger.
The non-warranty issue with the Savage was solved a lot faster and with satisfaction than either of the Remington warranty issues were, and the Ruger issue never was resolved!

I rarely attempt to get warranty work done at all if I can do the repair myself, simply because I can do without the hassle.
Cat