Thread: Which Caliber?
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
They are both fine choices for sure, but I shoot the 223 better. I find that my limit to shoot anything is what I can see, and that is 200 to 300M tops, any farther away and with the high power scope I can't pick up even a slow moving target. I need a good rest to shoot at 200 M.

The saw off I have found is that with a better scope I got more weight and off hand shooting was just a memory.

Cat and Shawn are right 223 is lots of gun for dogs. Reloading is cheap too.

I like Nosler BT pushed by Varget or IMR 4320 27 gr. for both.

The 223 is cheaper to reload, and there are lots of factory ammo around, some of it is not very good, IMO.
Personally I'd go for a .22-250. Oh wait, I did

I love the .223 and you're right there's a lot of crappy factory ammo out there. Some of it's not any better than the cheapo SKS ammo people buy.

I like the .22-250 because it's got better reach, more energy, flatter shooting etc. Plus it makes a boom like the big boys but has no recoil similar to a .223 so it's great for practicing because you get accustomed to the sound of a big game rifle. (Less flinching)

But both the .223 and .22-250 will be very well suited to yotes/wolves/badgers/gophers/etc. A .243 is a little much I think.