View Single Post
Old 01-25-2022, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Glad everything worked out. I kind of under appreciated Cold Lake for a lot of years and choose to do my laker fishing in saskatchewan....but I've spent a ton of time there the last 12 months and it's a great fishery.

Good point on the electronics too....I've got mine dialed in real good to about 100-110ft....I don't spend any time deeper than that and I'd expect my garmin ducer would be washing out a bit past there anyway.
We had the same deal with chasers last weekend....80-15 feet then turn and burn.
There are a couple of lakes I can pop into B.C. to fish lakers. although the ones with the big fish either don't freeze or aren't particularly safe due to the dams. I'll probably try some next year, but I need to get out and map them first this summer.

I think you might be able to tickle 100' with live imaging if you go everything dialed in just right. 70-80' is a more practical limit though. I'll be shipping that Ice55 flasher out this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
You have to play Cat and Mouse with them really hard so they get really mad and bite . I guess 58thecat knows all about that ! Ha ha !
Yeah I get that you're trying to get an instinct bite and not let them get too good a look at your offering...just wasn't happening. Reel slow and they just followed it. Speed it up a bit to try to trigger them and they just peeled off. I have some footage from the Active Target since the Lowrance units record. I'll see if I can post some up this weekend when I am back at my lake house and see if anyone has any feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weavster View Post
Looks like you had a fun trip GP! Congrats on the first lake through the ice
Yeah it was a good trip. Not disappointed at all even though the action was a bit slower than we'd hoped. We're gonna try to head back out in March, depending on how a trip to Diefenbaker pans out. I sent you an email recently too.

P.S. Next time out with your Active Target, can you make a video showing your settings the way you did for your HB? There aren't as many settings on the Lowrance as the Garmin, but you're getting a way better return in 75' than I was able to dial in. Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I think AlbertanGP brings up a valid point to having success on this lake whether the bite is on or not....be willing to move....ensure you bring many lures,baits etc to try different presentations...play the water columns and keep your cell phones in a zipped up pocket or it goes bloop...bloop...bloop!

ohh and don't eat apples on the ice too...one bite resulted in two broken off front teeth and then two hours in the dental chair....as you age apple sauce is a better choice

awesome meeting you fellas could see you got the bug now
Sleds or the Ranger would have definitely helped us this trip. The snow started getting a bit deeper late Saturday, and we had to drive over some overflow to come off Sunday. The poor little Taco(ma) won't haul my Ranger, so she'll probably wind up on the block this Spring.

My son-in-law dropped his phone in the hole in 120 fow watching YouTube videos when he got a bite. He was suffering withdrawal and contemplating his life choices the rest of the trip.

Broken teeth wouldn't be a problem if you lived on the other side of the province next to me.