View Single Post
Old 03-19-2012, 09:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
I think that most people jig too much especially in the winter, when you put your rod down and the hook is at rest, this is when the fish take it. Even when jigging I usually have a wave buster float on, I jig and let it sit for about 3-4 minutes before I jig again, seems to work better in the winter. If I do have to leave the rod for a minute or two I always open the bail, havn't lost a rod yet.
Bingo! I like to jig but almost always have a set line out too, when I lived near the city the set line usualy outfished the jigged line by a large margin except on the odd day or when fishing for perch. When I moved up to Slave I was surprized because relatively few people bother with tipups here but I soon found out why, I've probably went whole winters without catching a single fish on a tipup or set line. I can remember fishing for perch with a tipup baited with a nice minnow not 5 yards away, and catching pike on my tiny perch lures while my tipup was completey ignored. Well this year I finaly gave the Windlass tipups a go, and that my friends is the majic ticket up here. It doesnt outfish me as badly or as often as I was used to seeing further south with regular tipups but at least half of my pike and walleye this winter were caught on it. Funny how on different lakes/ different regions the rules can change completely.