View Single Post
Old 07-27-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philintheblank View Post
Can a non-US citizens do un-guided hunts in Alaska? they way I was reading their hunting regs, that was only for US non-residents.

US non-res hunters still needed a guide if they wanted to hunt girzz, sheep and goats AFAIK
I did the non guided caribou hunt in the Alaskan range the final year that it was legal for non resident aliens to do. And that was about 37 years ago. Yikes! We hired a float plane out of Lake Hood that flew us into a small lake and dropped us off for a week. My amigo and I each paid $500 U.S. for the flight.

It was a great experience, for sure. The caribou were spotted so far away that I could not see them with my 8x36 Bushnell binos. My partner saw them in his spotting scope.

The stalk took an amazing nine hours or so .. and then the 16 bulls got our wind and vamoosed at a dead run. This was right after I was told that the caribou in Northern Quebec often paid no attention to man's scent.

Bad advice ..

But we got our bull shortly after and that was one long packing out job. In hip waders .. Soggy country.