View Single Post
Old 03-24-2023, 07:14 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

So I was out on the ice chatting with a forum member here and we got on this subject, I only seen a mechanical once fail with a buddies set up.
We were mule deer hunting and on stand, that day it rained on us, sleet and a bit of snow as the temps dropped below freezing.
A nice buck came within shooting distance and he sent his arrow off just to hit the deer and not penetrate deep but looked good though, the deer just took off and well never fell over as we watched it go well over 100 yards.
So we come together for a discussion and when he pulled an arrow out of his quiver he found water that had frozen, like solid hindering his arrow from opening up....i pulled out my arrow with its fixed blade and started the search and yup after 45 minutes I found him injured as he stood up I placed the arrow and our hunt was over.
Now my buddy was a headstrong mechanical broadhead type fella in which we had many sit down conversations and I was the ya but what if one of those completely fails, does not open etc and we went a few years with his success until that day....he now runs fixed broadheads.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...