View Single Post
Old 06-16-2018, 11:29 AM

There used to be a fellow who worked at Phoenix Range, was a bit of a BS machine. Anyways, I had to butt in when he was trying to sell a 300 RUM to a dad and his12 year old boy, maybe 80 pounds soaking wet, as a first rifle. The kid had probably gotten his youth PAL and thre salesman's reasoning was, you could start with the .308 velocity loads, move up to the 30-06 velocity loads, and eventually graduate to full power 300 RUM game slaughtering magic loads.

I realise it's rude to interfere with someone carrying out their business, but I was pretty annoyed and kind of called him out right in the middle of his sales pitch.

No idea what the kid ended up with as I obviously left the store after rudely interfering in what was probably a lucrative sale. It would have too be for this guy to try to push that sale as he had been around long enough to know better. Really just plain greed and dishonesty.

I do realise that Remington marketed their 300 Ultra Mag this way but I'm certain that a 300 RUM loaded to .308 win velocity would still generate more recoil than a .308 and cost far more to shoot.

Not to mention, .308 win wouldn't be on my list of appropriate chamberings for a young shooter to begin with.