View Single Post
Old 03-09-2021, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Spent $425 on Kuiu jacket and pants during one of their 3-4 sales per year. Saved a couple of hun. One of the best hunting investments I've made. If there are more comfortable, windproof, warm, and moisture repellant solutions for that price I'm unaware. Dont like their camo patterns? Buy in solid colors instead. Most articles they make are available in solids. Easy website. Easy sizing. Sign up for notifications and get sales info in advance.

When it gets cold i put merino wool long undies and a puffy midlayer jacket underneath. When it's really cold I go to Carhart lined bibs in dk brown. Toasty but heavy buggers if you're walking any distance.

Blue jeans are about the most useless thing a hunter can wear. Great if you're just jumping out of a truck to shoot, don't require warmth, a windbreak, stretch, waterproofing, and only stray 50 yds from vehicle.

Cracks me up that some guys will slam good outdoor clothing then point to their 6 1000yd capable rifles, 20 power scopes, $500 knife, wind indicators, scent reduction, etc and state "I really needed those tho."
I would contend that when maintaining a high level of physical activity in cold temps, heavy cotton or denim is pretty tough to beat as an outer layer. While I don't actively promote hunting in jeans, I use heavy cotton pretty much exclusively as an outer shell for winter trekking.

It cuts wind effectively but still breaths extremely well, when you're on snowshoes, pulling your camp on a toboggan for most of the day, it gets obvious really fast how much better it breaths than any synthetic windproof shell. Layered properly I've spend several days on the trail with overnight tempatures down to -30.

So while I personally don't hunt in jeans, I feel that the level of disdain you seem to have for those who do, and the argument you've used to back up that opinion, to be half informed at best.

P1090088 by , on Flickr

P1080087 by , on Flickr