View Single Post
Old 03-09-2021, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
I would contend that when maintaining a high level of physical activity in cold temps, heavy cotton or denim is pretty tough to beat as an outer layer. While I don't actively promote hunting in jeans, I use heavy cotton pretty much exclusively as an outer shell for winter trekking.

It cuts wind effectively but still breaths extremely well, when you're on snowshoes, pulling your camp on a toboggan for most of the day, it gets obvious really fast how much better it breaths than any synthetic windproof shell. Layered properly I've spend several days on the trail with overnight tempatures down to -30.

So while I personally don't hunt in jeans, I feel that the level of disdain you seem to have for those who do, and the argument you've used to back up that opinion, to be half informed at best.

Not sure where you got "disdain for those who do" out of what i stated. Lower posterior perhaps. Good for you and your jeans but if you're saying regular Levis or Wranglers cut wind, don't absorb water, get heavier if they do, have gained some newfound insulation properties previously unknown to modern man, and dont require a liner of any kind during cold weather, then I guess you have those new fangled "magical" jeans. Not a chance denim runs with Merino wool, and as far as synthetics not breathing, well bud, maybe you should try some of the good stuff out before beaking about it because you have no idea.

Did the OP ask the question in the hunting area of AO or the cavorting about the bush in snowshoes area? Did he specifically ask about Camo for Hunting or did I miss camping, lounging, jogging, and tobogganing, in around and up and down hills? Does hunting contain elements of NOT moving or are you one of those jog while hunting guys?

Even my Saskatchewan rancher grandfather, probably the most capable hunter I've ever known, knew during the depression era, that hunting and camping in -30, driving a team of horses pulling a stoneboat 50 miles into the bush to shoot game for 2 weeks, what to wear. Wool. The itchy/scratchy stuff and lots of it. He didn't have the benefit of modern merino and synthetics but if he had he would have been wearing it.

Until you've played in Sitka, Kuiu, or FL, you shouldn't really have an opinion about them right? I've been in jeans long enough to know exactly how they perform outdoors and it ain't well. Sorry. But you enjoy yours and I'll enjoy mine. K?