View Single Post
Old 03-10-2021, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
I've been tying while watching the NFL and then the curling events. Would have been curling but it was shut down.

Got so many chironomids ready to go that I ran out of fly boxes!

Observed something interesting on the weekend at the vise, tying up some Dragon Lake* chironomids with wood duck thread (sort of a yellowy beige?) for the body. Without a white thread underbody, the colour changed (lost the bright yellow tinge) when UV resin or Sally Hansen polish was applied. Same thing happened when using olive floss in another pattern.

*In retrospect should have followed the recipe shown in a U-Tube presentation where the tier used white Uni-Stretch for the gills and underbody. Wonder if the trout will notice or maybe they'll be too occupied checking the wire wraps.

I don't tie the dragon lake special with the uni-stretch underbody as I like a slimmer body and taper. The trout don't care, use this John Kent pattern 18" below his Elvis pattern and you have a deadly combo. I have gone days using nothing else but these 2 patterns hammering fish even thought the chroni's coming off are different colors haha.