Thread: Cold Lake
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2018, 02:19 PM

Was out on the long weekend and caught a ton of fish at all depths, but the bigger ones were definitely deeper, like 95-105 ft. The Most people i have ever seen by far on the lake for sure.
I have some huge concerns though. Why not make this lake like Calling lake and have a small 10 cm slot size like 50-60 cm and keep 1 fish.

The number of fish we caught was awesome and they were all fat and happy which is great, but the lack of the big ones is alarming.
What are we doing keeping these big mature fish that taste terrible compared to a 3 - 5 lber.

There was a great read on Calling lake and why the slot works so well to sustain a lake on here a few weeks ago.

the biggest we caught was 74cm and several at 68-71. They were all fat with little heads so not old fish by any means.

the other thing I thought of is mortality, we hooked 3 different fish in the eye, and all of my Laker hooks are barbless luckily. a couple more had gill damage because of the hook was taken deep on the strike. I even went to a single hook set up and missed a few but it worked fine.

I talked to probably a dozen other groups who mostly had 20 plus fish afternoons and not one of them had caught a keeper the whole long weekend.
Great fishing and weather on an excellent fishery and even had 3 folks with me who had never fished for lakers and never seen a Down rigger, so that was so fun.
anyone else experience the same thing?

Tight lines all!