View Single Post
Old 03-13-2008, 10:06 AM

Default 270 wsm

I hunt moose and deer in the fall and bears in the spring. I primarily use a 7MM stw ( have take 7 or 8 moose 9 black bears and a number of deer ) and have had outstanding results with this round. My son is now 17 and a bit recoil sensitive, recently I looked at the 257 wby for him. I ended up buying a ruger in 270 wsm. The recoil is light and the gun shoots 1/2 inch groups out of the box with hornady 150's. We hunt moose, deer, elk, and bears here at the same time so a bit heavier rifle made a bit more sense. I looked at the 257 vanguard and found it heavy, I think it would work just fine but a bit light for an all around rifle. The 270 is .007 smaller than the 284. I see these as virtually the same round. Full mushroomed they would be basically the same. The only trouble I see with the 270 is the lack of bullet weights, although you can get a 160 in a partition. I do lean toward the 7mm stw with 160 grand slams, as I have had great success with it, I have had no hunting experience with the 270. I guess we'll see how he does this spring on bears.