View Single Post
Old 01-03-2014, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskbooknut View Post
For cutting 12 ga plastic hulls down to 2 1/2 inch I use a piece of 3/4 inch pipe squared off in the lathe and measured/cut to the right length.

The measure slips over a 12 ga 3 inch hull (there are lots of freebie hulls out there) and the cut is done with a box cutter. Quick and easy to do up 50 at one time.

For those of you who have not done roll crimped shells before, the roll crimped 2 1/2 inch hull has about the same capacity as a pie crimped 2 3/4 inch hull.

I personally like the hand cranked roll crimper better than the drillpress crimper.
One must remember though, that it is the stack height, not the style of crimp that mandates the capacity of the shell itself, and the recoil and pressure created by using less wad stack and more powder or shot!

I much prefer a roll crimper as well, I find that most drill presses are much to fast .
Chucked up in a cordless however, one can slow them down, but I think that it is much easier to get a good finish by going very slowly, and this is likely why both you and I like the hand crank better- it is easier to get the pressure just right as well.
I have a massive old Lyman unit that I have been trying to find other chucks for , and it does as good a 10 gauge crimp as I have every seen.

Another thing about roll crimping is that it creates slightly less pressure that a fold crimp, which has been argued before, but the pressure tests that Tom Armbrust has done have proven this out.
Fibre wads also create less pressure than modern plastic wad and I think this has more to do with less gas leakage because of the efficiency of the
modern wads sealing extremely well in the proper case.

Cat