View Single Post
Old 08-26-2017, 06:33 AM

I hope that he is alright, darn scary situation to deal with.

I agree with post above.
It might be good to not let complacency get in the way, take measures to ensure that all of us pay attention to what's going on around us,,, not only in bear country, but everything out-doors including the trip to & from.

Our surroundings dictate what actions we "might" choose as each situations needs different thoughts & ideas.

The chances of it happening is 1 in a million, it's always the other guy or gal, it won't happen to me because I.

Not all of us think this way, but some do. Complacency sometimes sets in, or we forget to consider our odds when departing our vehicle.

"Ones odds change when we find our selves off the beaten path, more so the further we wonder away from the grid."

I'm guessing we sometimes take small chances here & there,,, I know I do & have at many out-door activities from hiking, biking, off roading by sled or atv, even standing on the bank of a stream or creek looking at the scenery.

Very unfortunate that this incident happened, hopefully its and eye opener to all of us including my self that we might learn or refresh some ideas that we've learned over the years when venturing into the wilds.

Guess it's time for me to re-write my checks & balance list for 2017. Go threw my bundled self rescue pack, and start taking note of mental prep in-side and out.

As I mentioned on a thread about strange encounter with the furry kind.
If we fail to plan our plan "could" fail.

Today is the day I re-boot my action plan and take part in a few small practic situations,,, kinda like doing the drills in ready-ness.

I know one thing and I'll share this with everyone,,, after a unknown situation happens and time is ticking by...

It is at that point we need water,,, lots and lots of water depending on each situation... Second thing is fast energy source of food depending on how far or long we have to travel for assistance.

A few folks on this forum are aware of my 22 km hike over 7 hours at self rescue in 2014 from deep in the back woods.
It was a dry year, and going after natural water sources when wounded is not an option. The severity of damage to ones self dictates what actions each of us choose.

Don