View Single Post
Old 05-29-2023, 11:39 AM

Had a few more days out trying to find a Turkey with Keith. He spent a rainy, windy day in the area I got mine but found no birds except for one hen. The next day I joined him. Much nicer weather so we tried the same spot, but the same results. We saw a hen, likely the same he saw the day before, but that was all.
The last couple of days we tried a few different spots. One area we had found birds before, but now found none. The other we did find a few birds, but they weren't very responsive. A far off gobble here and there. We closed the distance when we heard them, but they went quiet or had moved off by the time we got there. The closest we got was a group of 4 birds we stumbled across on our walk out on the last day. They came over a small rise, walking towards us, but we were caught in the open. Keith thought they were jakes based on their red heads (something I couldn't tell). 60 yards was too far for a shot or confirming any beards in the group. Still was exciting to see.
We felt, with most hens nesting, the toms seemed to be less responsive. Hard to draw conclusions based on just a little experience, but it did seem the breeding season was over and chances of calling one in weren't as good as earlier. Keith didn't get a bird. Still a fun season. We hiked a lot of miles, got to experience some beautiful country and had fun trying to figure them out. Certainly something we would do again, although with the tag availability at the moment, that isn't likely.