View Single Post
Old 01-30-2007, 06:11 PM
graylake

Nube

While I have not been to Africa yet, I do have my trip booked and it took me about 2.5 years to decide on where and with whom, I should be hunting. So I am not a expert, but a few of the things that I have learned so far are as follows.

- you can not fly through the US with firearms. Go via Frankfurt. People have tried to get around the paperwork with the US, but it won't happen.

- if hunting in SA and they say that you are hunting 70000 acres, ask if it is all in one block? Or are you hunting 7 ranches, 10000 acres each. Are there any internal fences, if so what type? bare wire or 8' game fence.

- Ask if the ranch stocks animals or is it natural reproduction. How many hunters do they run through the camp annually.

- check with a bunch of the other outfits in the area, if their prices are in the ball park of what you are quoted then great. But if everybody else is charging higher then the company that you are using is making up the shortfall some where else. ie, what does it cost for Dip/pack, are they forgetting to add in any of the taxes. Stuff like that.

I see that you are on AR, that is a great site with a wealth of information, but a large portion of the members are US and they have a bunch of different rules to deal with down there. Besure that any information you get is applicable to this side of the Border.

Have fun,

Graylake