View Single Post
Old 04-24-2015, 11:13 AM

Default Importing and Exporting game meat??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
I just got back from a Turkey hunt in Washington a few days ago. Got to the Canadian border and they took my Bird. Apparently there was an outbreak of Avian flu in some of the surrounding states so Canada shut down the import of any raw poultry or bird parts. This stop on importing happened on Jan 30th this year and I had no idea. The border agent was quite upset with me for not knowing. Last year it wasn't a problem, this year it was.

Importing meat into Canada has nothing to do with the U.S., it all falls under Canadian law. They are the ones to talk to.

The antlers and Cape will likely need an export permit before your taxidermist will touch them, your outfitter should be able to do / facilitate this for you.

Same happened to me. There was a thread on it here. I did some research on which counties in Montana were okay and we crossed with two Turkey the next weekend. Never happened before Any mounts I've had come across only needed an import permit no idea as far as meat. All we've needed for Turkey was the tags. If I were in your position I would be talking to both sides of the border.