View Single Post
Old 04-19-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
What sticks in the quadders craw is court proceedings I posted from our local newspaper regarding fines given out to quadders.
The postings were an attempt to inform the quadders that some of their actions were illegal. This was done as the quad organizations/ govt were not keeping the quadders abreast a what was illegal.
From these postings, quadders somehow felt that I was picking on them. The reverse was obviously true. I wanted them not to be in court news.

As far as closures, years ago I read that an African country who hosted hunts for exotic animals were going to ban hunting rather than dealing with poaching, land destruction, habitat loss and the like. What this country failed to recognize, it was only the legal hunters who funded natural areas, enforcement activities and the like. Once the hunters were gone, the herds disappeared rapidly.

Guess we are joining African Game management.

And comments about contracts etc are bang on. Only On a go forward basis will we get better at protecting our land base.

Some years ago an ACA grant recieprant undertook an examination on the stream crossings in the Swan Hills area and found 700 of 900 did not meet the standards for fish passage. They were illegal. When I approach both ESRD and the DFO about the issue, neither of the managers cared. What is scary, grayling migrate a long way to spawn. No passage, no spawn, no grayling.

And Neil - don't know ya' that Brook Trout are now evil fish and should be eradicated at every opportunity. Preserve a Brooky stream. Heresy!!!!!

Don

Don, since these guys have neither the manpower, the budget or the knowhow to eradicate brookies (no rotenone please, because this is supposed to be a grayling rescue mission) if the fishing was good before, imagine how great the evil Pembina will be for brook trout after a five year angling ban.
Bring it on.
Although to tell the truth, other than the three crossing points, there's huge inaccessible sections from the FTR to Paddy Creek that never gets fished.
Which makes this whole futile exercise even more stupid and surreal.