View Single Post
Old 05-04-2016, 08:17 AM

I have over-sprayed my home-made plugs and spoons with "Glow" for years and believe it helps - particularly for trout/char in deep waters such as Kootenay Lake.

I fished Spray Lake for many years and did an experiment whereby we all used powder coated white or chartreuse 1/8 oz jigs with a piece of smelt for lakers at 70 - 100' depths. However, my son and I used jigs where I mixed the color and glow powders 50:50 while our guests used the same colors but without the glow factor. They all looked the same in sunlight but the glow jigs almost consistently outfitted the others.

Interestingly, I once made jointed 14" long black and white musky plugs for night trolling in Ontario and over-sprayed them with glow paint. Never caught a musky on one but did have brown bullheads (like a 12 - 14" small catfish) attack them and completely inhale the 5/0 treble hooks on a few occasions in pitch black darkness. They were not foul hooked.
I believe certain species react better to the glow than others and it is most effective in low-light conditions like deep water or ice fishing.