View Single Post
Old 09-21-2017, 08:33 PM

so finally took my first shot at a an animal with bow, 50 yards on a nice 6x6 bull. Called him in, had a perfect setup. I rushed the shot being excited, and he was two steps away from heading out of shooting lane. Needless to say as I released, he turned from broadside to quarter away. I feel like I shot slightly left (towards front of animal) but never got to see where arrow hit as he immediately ran and disappeared into thick brush. The herd continued to hangout for an hour between 80-100 yds away in the trees. After they moved out I went and looked for my arrow, hoping for a clean miss. found arrow about 40 yards from where I shot him, with this pool shortly after. Solid blood trail for 200+ yards uphill? (weird) Blood trail then ends, and no elk to be found. Looked for two days, covered 20km. No birds either. Two days later, I went back out, and we called in what I am almost positive was the same bull, looking healthy. (didn't get a great look at his neck / body to see if there was a wound)

Sorry for the long story, just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to where I hit the animal based on blood / arrow? Arrow was roughly half covered, and did not snap.

I learned a valuable lesson though, definitely will not be shooting that far at animals, and will not be rushing on shots either. Also should of tried harder for a follow up shot, but didn't want to bump him.

Last edited by jungleboy; 01-01-2024 at 09:42 AM.