View Single Post
Old 09-05-2018, 10:31 AM

Default New prop, big difference!

I thought I would share the difference that a prop can make on the performance of your outboard. I am running a 2018 Merc Verado 200 Pro (the v6 version, not the 4 cylinder). The boat shipped with a Mercury Spitfire 4 blade 19p prop on it. Holeshot was decent, a bit more bow rise than I liked, and trim range was limited before it would ventilate. Top speed was 47 mph (gps) and rpms were around 5900. There was a big rooster tail at full trim and I knew that the prop wasn’t giving me all the motor had. Mileage at full speed, full trim was 1.7 mpg .

This past weekend I installed a Mercury Racing Bravo FS I 20p. This is a 4 blade SS prop with recontoured blades, allowing you to go up a pitch while keeping your rpms in the same zone. The difference was incredible. Holeshot was about the same, stays on step at lower rpms, less bow rise. I could now make full use of the trim range as well. Top speed was 55.4 mph (gps) with a tournament load (2 guys, all gear, full fuel tank). No more rooster tail, and mileage improved to 2.8 mpg at full speed and full trim.

Stainless props do have their downsides. They cost more and aren’t as forgiving if you hit rocks or bottom. However, if you know your bodies of water well and are looking to improve your boats performance they can make a world of difference.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors