View Single Post
Old 09-05-2018, 07:09 PM

Default New prop, big difference!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
Same here. Got a chew mark or two on mine. Always wanted to try a 4 blade. Anyone know who would let ya trial run one before buying. I got a Yamaha VMAX 150 2 stroke HPDI with 18 pitch 3 blade. Thanks

That probably depends on the relationship you have with your dealer, and the dealer specifically. My dealer has let me buy a prop from stock, try it, and if it was bad I could exchange it for a different one they had in stock provided it was in pristine shape. You had to pay for it before you took it too as people abused the service and destroyed props without paying.

Not all 4 blades are an improvement. On my last boat I had an aluminum 3 blade on a 2016 Merc 150 4 stroke. I had heard that 4 blades were way better for holeshot and handling so I bought the exact same prop but in the 4 blade version. Handling was terrible, cavitation was common, and it dropped 6 mph in top end speed. I lost trim range and it was just awful. I went back to a 3 blade but a SS prop in the Merc Tempest Plus 19p. Gained 4 mph more than my original 3 blade (10 more than the aluminum 4) and the boat would corner like a dream with no cavitation.

Aluminum props will flex under load, changing the blade shape and cupping. SS props don’t do that.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors