View Single Post
Old 10-14-2018, 06:54 PM

One thing that's always touted as a benefit is the 'legacy" projects.

What if any are the benefits of having a training and competition facility for things like a speed skating, the sliding events center (whatever that place at C.O.P. is called)

Do these places have long-lasting jobs after the events are gone? Coaching and training staffs, support and maintenance etc.

Also is there any benefit to these venues hosting events for years to come such as world cups, amateur meets, national and international competitions etc.
Those events put money back into the economy as well via hotels, restaurants, physio clinics and research facilities that exist around these places that have spinoff benefits into the community.

What do people in B.C. say about the aftermath of the 2010 Olympics? Was it a financial disaster they are still in financial ruin because of? I imagine a great deal of public money went into those games.

I'm all for the games coming to Calgary again, but not if the money is spent irresponsibly and poorly organized.
I'd like to hear more about the legacy projects and any vision to ensure local companies get as many of the contracts as possible.