View Single Post
Old 10-14-2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy honker View Post
One thing that's always touted as a benefit is the 'legacy" projects.

What if any are the benefits of having a training and competition facility for things like a speed skating, the sliding events center (whatever that place at C.O.P. is called)

Do these places have long-lasting jobs after the events are gone? Coaching and training staffs, support and maintenance etc.

Also is there any benefit to these venues hosting events for years to come such as world cups, amateur meets, national and international competitions etc.
Those events put money back into the economy as well via hotels, restaurants, physio clinics and research facilities that exist around these places that have spinoff benefits into the community.

I'd like to hear more about the legacy projects and any vision to ensure local companies get as many of the contracts as possible.

Nakiska was a legacy project. Has it been used for anything of consequence since? Why the 88 Olympics needed a venue outside of Lake Louise is anyone's guess. Parks wouldn't allow that many spectators I guess but it resulted in a p*** poor facility being built for BIG dollars. And of course we still have Olympic Stadium in Montreal. That dump wasn't paid off until 2006....30 years after the Olympics.

Coaching, training staffs, etc? Aren't they paid out of the federal governments, spelled OUR, coffers?

Some times these venues end up providing better training for our country's athletes but quite honestly...who cares? If we win 30 gold medals at the next winter Olympics those are pretty expensive pieces of tin. I'd probably manage to sleep at night if we only won 1 or 2.

The Olympics have become a shining example of greed and bureaucracy at it's finest. I wonder what benefits Brazilian's have realized?