View Single Post
Old 09-28-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
I work on other people cars all day. Some stink of cigarettes, some stink of weed, some smell of diesel and oil, dogs, some are so perfumed up it seizes my nasal passages. The absolute worst has to be mini vans of young mothers who have babies and toddlers, they reek of rotting soiled dirty diapers, urine, baby puke, sour milk and formula and rotten food and who knows what else, Instant gag reflex. On occasions some have been so bad it has made me vomit. To add to that everything is sticky, gooey or greasy, with all those mystery stains on seats, carpets, steering wheels, interior door handles and fixtures, etc. A 6 day old gut pile in hot weather doesn't compare to that sickly sour smell.
For sure, can totally appreciate your pain.

My brother and I used to be the "clean-up guys" for our family's used vehicles. This was back when we were all pretty much surrounded by smokers. Cleaning the tar goo out of the vehicles was a gross job, but back then, it was really much more common. And on the cheaper type of vehicles that we tended to buy, more of the surfaces were vinyl, even the headliners, so they were easier to scrub clean. I was actually more disgusted by the deposits of heavens-knows-what left on the surfaces that were most commonly touched.

I had one vehicle that had a persistent smell that I couldn't get rid of, and it stuck with the vehicle for almost a decade... The "Sour Milk" smell. It eventually became my vehicle, and it did get milder, but on hot days, it would rear its nasty olfactory head.

I'm often reminded of how much has changed over the last few years... My kids barely recognize cigarette smoke. The smell of pot has supplanted it.