View Single Post
Old 09-29-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
First off, I doubt the guy selling even thought about it. Most smokers don't notice the smell of cigarettes. I don't think this means all people suck, or that even most people do. If you asked a bazillion questions and smoke smell bothers you so bad, why didn't you ask him if the car had been smoked in? If he had said no and it had been then I think he sucks, but it doesn't spread from there to everyone else.

My other comment is you can get many bad odours out of a car. I would much rather get rid of cigarette smell than get one the has been de-smelled and cleaned up from being flooded. Soap and water along with Ozone is a great odour remover. If I can save enough money I have no problem spending a few bucks getting a car deodorized. Same is true of houses. We moved over 25 times, if we had eliminated all the homes that had a smoker in them it would have cut the options by more than half and in many places there weren't many choices of places to buy to start with. Some stuff just isn't that big a deal because it is easily fixed.
I have no doubt the owner knew what he had. The truck had only been on the market for a little over a week when we got there but that’s a long time for a vehicle that was being described as in excellent shape, had low kilometres and priced a bit below what I thought would be market value. And despite what some may think a good used Power Wagon is in high demand. Affordable used ones in great shape sell as fast as they go on the market. It’s a niche truck; front and rear lockers, low axle gears, factory Warn winch...etc...

To be honest I never thought to ask about cigarette smoke smell in the truck. I have zero sense of smell since walking into a Chlorine cloud when I was 17. But I could taste it. And the yellowed door panels from Nicotine were a dead give away. The whole inside of the truck was weathered looking because of it.

So, even if the owners were nose blind because of smoking for probably their whole life, I’m 100% sure the nasty smell had already been pointed out to them by perspective buyers and even if I had not specifically asked whether they had smoked in it the inside could never be described as mint like it had been. The whole we are retired now and don’t need a truck anymore but this was our baby and we hate to see it go was what talked me into a 1100km round trip drive. It’s a long way to go but after talking with them and hearing how they described it I thought the drive would be worthwhile. As for getting the smell out, that could happen but I still needed to drive it over 500km to get it home first, and I couldn’t wait to get out of it after 10 minutes so that was out.

I’d agree though that not all people suck, just these ones.